Handbook of Comparative Political Institutions. 2015. Edited with Rubén Ruiz-Rufino. Routledge.
Political Institutions under Dictatorship. 2008. Cambridge University Press.
Minority Languages in Dictatorships: A New Measure of Group Recognition. 2016. With Curtis Bell and Amy Liu. Political Science Research and Methods (February): 1-22.
Elections and Political Regimes. 2015. Government and Opposition 50 (3): 446-468.
The Timing and Targeting of Repression in Authoritarian Elections. 2013. With Tavishi Bhasin. Electoral Studies 32: 620-631.
The Incentives for Pre-electoral Coalitions in Non-Democratic Elections. 2013. With Ora John Reuter. Democratization. 20 (1): 137-159.
Economic Performance and the Unraveling of Hegemonic Parties. 2011. With Ora John Reuter. British Journal of Political Science. 41 (1): 83-110.
Coopting Workers under Dictatorship. 2010. With Wonik Kim. Journal of Politics. 72 (3): 646-658.
Democracy and Dictatorship Revisited. 2010. With José Antonio Cheibub and Jim Vreeland. Public Choice 143 (1-2): 67-101.
Elections under Authoritarianism. 2009. With Ellen Lust-Okar. Annual Review of Political Science 12: 403-422.
Dictatorial Institutions and their Impact on Economic Growth. 2008. European Journal of Sociology 49 (1): 3-30.
Authoritarian Institutions and the Survival of Autocrats. 2007. With Adam Przeworski. Comparative Political Studies. 40 (11): 1279-1301.
Cooperation, Cooptation, and Rebellion under Dictatorship. 2006. With Adam Przeworski. Economics and Politics 18 (1): 1-26.
CHAPTERS IN EDITED VOLUMES
Electoral Systems in Authoritarian States. 2018. With Abigail Heller. In Handbook of Electoral Systems, edited by Erik Herron, Robert Pekkanen, and Matthew Shugart. Oxford University Press.
- Authoritarian Institutions. 2015. With Clara Boulianne Lagacé. In Handbook of Comparative Political Institutions, edited by Jennifer Gandhi and Rubén Ruiz-Rufino. Routledge. 278-291.
- Introduction. 2015. With Rubén Ruiz-Rufino. In Handbook of Comparative Political Institutions, edited by Jennifer Gandhi and Rubén Ruiz-Rufino. Routledge. 1-11.
- Studying Institutions. 2015. With Tom Clark. In Handbook of Comparative Political Institutions, edited by Jennifer Gandhi and Rubén Ruiz-Rufino. Routledge. 31-42.
- Authoritarian Elections and Regime Change. 2014. In Comparing Democracies: Elections and Voting in a Changing World (4th edition), edited by Lawrence LeDuc, Richard Niemi, and Pippa Norris. Sage Publications. 173-186.
- The Role of Presidential Power in Authoritarian Elections. 2013. In Constitutions in Authoritarian Regimes, edited by Tom Ginsburg and Alberto Simpser. Cambridge University Press. 199-217.